Thursday 30 October 2014

How to Get Your Fitness Goals in Gear

Starting a new commitment is never easy. Let's face it-it means change in your everyday routine, whatever it is. It's difficult to get over the initial hump of making room for it. You are already so used to not doing it each week that merely doing it is asking a lot.
Fitness may be the best example of this scenario. It's not easy for anyone. So if you are lugging around good intentions and well thought out plans for adding exercise to your weekly life but can't seem to get them into gear, don't think you're unique.
Don't think you have some special condition about your motivation or your life that makes it harder for you than it is for those people who are actually following through with their fitness goals. You are just letting the hump hold you up. And while it's an extremely common problem, it's also very easily surmounted with a little dedication.
Oops. Did I say a bad word? No! DEDICATION is a good word. It gives way to great things like integrity, and confidence, and feeling really good about yourself. So don't let that little requirement, dedication, scare you off. It's a self-makeover in disguise.
The first thing you need to do when desiring to add fitness to your life is pick an activity. It really doesn't matter what it is, so long as it is active. You know what you are interested in and what your body is capable of. Always consult your doctor if you have any concerns about your physical abilities.
Also, know that it is ideal to do both a cardio workout and a strength training workout, like bike riding and yoga, each week. But in the beginning you want to reserve all of your motivation for simply getting started, so pick the one thing you would enjoy doing for the rest of your physically active life.
Something that, when you imagine yourself doing it routinely, makes you feel great about yourself. If you have done different activities or exercise programs before, let it really pay off, because you already know what you really enjoy. I absolutely love walking. I know I hate running, and bike riding. I hate aerobics. I love yoga and Pilates.
The things I love to do, I know I can do for life. I may not look forward to doing them every day, but I know I will enjoy them when I do them. I'm passionate about them. If you're really social and like to get involved in new groups of people, you would probably enjoy working out at a gym, which is like a club where everyone exercises while they hang out. Or take a karate or dance class. Pick what you want to do based on what you know you like, or what feels like a good fit for your personality and lifestyle and interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment